Saturday, August 17, 2013

Chocolate sorbet

It’s been since March that I’ve posted a recipe including chocolate, but don’t let that fool you. I’ve been eating chocolate this whole time, I was just being a little selfish and keeping the recipes to myself.




I hinted recently about a sorbet I’ve been making since early May, and this week, when I made it again, I took some photographs so that I could share it with you.




It’s full on chocolate without the distraction of eggs or cream or milk. It’s reminiscent of the chocolate mousse by Hervé This, yet it’s a David Lebovitz concoction (I so love his recipes).




It’s a sorbet made with water, sugar, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, a pinch of salt to bring out the chocolate flavor even more and a dash of vanilla extract for good measure.




It’s easy to make, foolproof one could say, and the result is a smooth, silky sorbet with a deep, pure taste of chocolate. Slightly bitter, enough to remind you that what you have used is indeed really good chocolate with a high content of cocoa solids, not too sweet, not too heavy.




Served with fresh berries—I used blackberries and raspberries this time—that balance out the richness of the chocolate with their slightly sharp kick, is perfect for someone who, much like me, is totally and utterly addicted to the dark temptress.




To those of you who are not satisfied with only one chocolate icy treat, allow me to remind you of this dark chocolate ice cream, this white chocolate ice cream with caramel-Kahlua sauce and this chocolate semifreddo.









Dark Chocolate Sorbet
Ever-so-slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop

Use good quality chocolate and cocoa powder as it will make all the difference in the flavor and texture of the sorbet. Also, use a chocolate whose flavor you enjoy as that will be the prominent flavor.
I used chocolate with 72% cocoa solids but I suppose anywhere between 60%-70% would be fine.




Yield: about 1 liter

Ingredients
200 g caster sugar
80 g good quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder
Pinch of sea salt
560 ml water
175 g good quality dark chocolate, 60%-70% cocoa solids, cut into small pieces
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Special equipment: immersion blender (or regular blender), ice cream machine (optional yet preferable)


Preparation
In a large saucepan, add the sugar, cocoa, salt and 380 ml of the water and whisk over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil while whisking continuously and once it comes to the boil, allow it to boil for 45 seconds while still beating non-stop.

Take the pan off the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract and the rest of the water (180 ml) and whisk to incorporate.
Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture for 15-20 seconds. If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer the mixture to a regular blender, blend it and then return it to the bowl.


Place the bowl with the sorbet mixture in the refrigerator to chill, covered with plastic warp. Once it chills thoroughly, take it out of the fridge, whisk it well and add it to your ice cream machine. Churn the sorbet according to the manufacturer’s instructions, empty it into a container suitable for the freezer and place in the freezer for a couple of hours or until the sorbet is firm enough to serve.

Alternatively, if you don't have an ice cream machine, empty the sorbet mixture into a container suitable for the freezer. Place the mixture in the freezer, take it out after 40 minutes and whisk it very well. You can also use a blender, or even an immersion blender. Continue doing the same thing every half hour, until it's too thick and frozen to beat or whisk. The whole process will take 2 to 3 hours, depending on how strong your freezer is.

Take it out of the freezer about 15 minutes before serving to soften.

You can keep the sorbet in your freezer for a week.




9 comments:

  1. A wonderful sorbet! That is something I haven't tried to make yet... Lovely pictures too.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate icecream and haven't found a recipe that would satisfy me. But seeing the creaminess of your one, I'm really looking fwd to try it :)

    Your blog is the inspiration for my latest recipe on line. Actually, I love coming here and checking your recipes, I always feel soooo inspired by everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a chocolate sorbet recipe with orange that tastes great but the texture lacks - this looks like the perfect balance and it will become my new favorite. Magda - as always - you photos are truly gorgeous. Stunning, in fact! I bet they would make a chocolate hater crave your sorbet! xox, David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might try this sometime, I don't have an ice-cream machine and find the putting in and out of the freezer a pain but this recipe looks to be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful.I know this David Lebovitz recipe well, and can attest to its lusciousness---the rich chocolate taste lingers in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently found out I am allergic to eggs which can interfere with ice cream. But fear no interference here! Looks wonderful and your photos, sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Magda, your blog’s new look is great and sumptuous!

    And it was a great pleasure to read your interview! Thanks for sharing!

    " Having a food blog is not easy. I cook, I photograph, I write both in Greek and in English to be able to connect with a wider audience. All that takes time, effort, money and a lot of patience "

    Oh, yeah, I can guess how hard it is. When I take photos of the food I prepare, it’s always such a trouble. Just two examples. You have to wash your hands every time you take your camera and it makes the whole process much, much longer! Secondly, it always tortures me when I see hot, just cooked briam (for instance), but I can’t taste it because I have to take photos. And while I do take them, my briam becomes colder, oh noooooo))))

    So, I just wanted to thank you for one more time for your patience and all that hard (but pleasant) work that you do for all of us (and for yourself)!!!

    Always yours,
    Xenia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Xenia! Thanks so much! I'm glad you like the changes. Thank you for reading and following and making my recipes. :)

      Delete