Saturday, October 29, 2011

Simplicity


I'm in need of simplicity. In flavors, sounds, images, people.






There are times when I make my life difficult by paying too much attention to meaningless details, to situations that only bring me negative energy, or to people who have nothing to offer but annoying idle talk and an empty know-it-all attitude.






I yearn for simplicity. In emotions, in music, in food, in my personal space.






I try to free myself of anything that feels pretentious and I want sincerity and naturalness to characterize my relationships with those around me.






When I cook for someone I love, I offer them a piece of myself. My creations need not be complicated or intricate to be remarkable. There is an ancient Greek saying "Εν τη απλότητι το κάλλος" (en ti aplotiti to kallos), meaning that beauty lies in simplicity, which says it all.






So when I present someone with a bowlful of yogurt, drizzled with Greek thyme honey and sprinkled with chopped walnuts, I truly feel like I'm presenting them with the most beautiful food prepared by human hands.












Greek Yoghurt with Greek Thyme Honey and Walnuts

This can hardly be called a recipe since it only has three ingredients and almost zero preparation time, but it is a timeless Greek dessert that never fails to satisfy; not to mention that it's probably the healthiest one out there.






Yield: 1-2 servings (share it with someone you love)

Ingredients
200 g Greek strained yoghurt, full-fat, well stirred
1 Tbsp Greek thyme honey (or any other runny honey you prefer)
2 tsp roughly chopped walnuts


Preparation
Place the yoghurt in a bowl, drizzle with the honey and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Instant gratification.






If you enjoy the flavors of honey, yoghurt and nuts then this tart (do you remember it?) will delight you. Whenever I make it, I can't help but think of the classic "Greek yoghurt with honey and walnuts".



21 comments:

  1. Well, this is true beauty in its simplist form,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your frustrations and need for simplicity - at times I look around and feel like maybe I've done something wrong, since I don't "get" a lot of people and they don't "get" me. Then I'm reminded of the wonderful people I do have around, and how simple it is to be with them. Positive conversation flows easily and there's no need for show. Very reflective of this lovely dessert. I admit I have it for breakfast often (with regular honey, but thyme honey sounds fantastic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be simple but it tastes fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of those food I don't eat nearly often enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magda, I agree wholeheartedly!
    What could be more beautiful and simple?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my dream breakfast: simple preparation with gorgeous healthy ingredients. Beautiful post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple is the best. And Greek yoghurt with honey is a favorite - now all I need to do is add the walnuts! Beautiful photos, Magda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photography is so elegant, Magda. Yogurt with honey is one of my favorites, but I've never thought to add walnuts. A lovely breakfast, lunch, snack or dessert. And simplicity, a nice reminder that keeping things simple helps unclutter the head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Couldn't agree more. And your photos actually had my mouth watering which is more than the most fancy food does.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love simplicity, all the more so in food; we have a similar dish in lebanese kitchens, with a cheese similar to ricotta, drizzled with honey. Those are the best desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful simplicity, and yes I do remember that tart. I must make that tart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love simplicity too, no fiddly recipes or pretentiousness please. Your photos are real joy - such lovely lines. Today I'll stop at the station to see if they have any Greek yoghurt there (please God), otherwise I'll have to wait till tomorrow. Thanks too for reminding me about that tart which I can't wait to make either. Have a lovely Sunday Magda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love greek yogurt with honey! It reminds me of summer at the sea! And is sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, I remember the tart, gorgeous. and simple.beautiful, artful post.

    a good friend just returned from her first visit to Greece, and told me that everywhere she went (outside of Athens) there was remarkable food, delicious food, simple and well-prepared. (and amazing fruits nuts vegetable growing everywhere) it made her sad when she returned to the States.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a perfect sentiment- and beautiful photos to boot. Thanks for getting my morning started in just the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the simplicity of this. just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally! I think simplicity is the key to deliciousness! Most of the time, we tend to forget...
    I love eating yoghurt this way, too. Another way is with date or grape syrup (all natural)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always loved Greek yogurt with honey and nuts but the first time I had it for breakfast in Greece I was blown away by how good it was, how much better it was than any similar concoction I had had before (or after to be truthful). I still dream of that little café...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fresh, simple foods. The yogurt looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete