Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lunch for one

The clocks went back an hour. The days are short now and I can feel the winter approaching. The temperature keeps dropping and the rain is persistent and hard as if it has suddenly awakened from its unusually long summer dormant state.






The trees are thirsty for it, all yellow and rusty golden. They fill the streets, not in a good way, not in the romantic way, but in the annoying way. They keep getting stuck to the bottom of my shoes and I end up bringing them into the apartment, leaving a trail behind me, like that of breadcrumbs, for me to find my way back.






There are days when I can’t get away from the kitchen, it seems like my place of solace, where I can find some peace of mind in cooking or baking, and then there are those days that I can’t stand being in that room for more than a second, when I know that I need a break from the act of cooking, a rest. I’m like that with all my great loves.






Lunch for one is served.
Homemade Greek barley bread, toasted for added texture, soft-ish boiled egg and a ripe avocado, almost creamy, never mashed. I have my preferences. Maldon sea salt, because it’s so good, and a glass of water.






One last thought. I am so glad I got to see this man play live. Rest in peace, Lou.
I’ll leave you with this.








Greek Barley Bread with Avocado and Boiled Egg

2 slices of Greek barley bread
1 ripe avocado
1 large egg
Sea salt flakes, such as Maldon


Toast the bread.
Cut avocado in half and scoop out the halves. Cut into slices.
Boil the egg to your liking. Peel and cut in half.
Season egg and avocado with salt.
Lunch for one, ready.





6 comments:

  1. How I understand you and the thing with your great loves. Sometimes we just need a break from it!

    Goodnight lady :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect lunch, Magda. Just my style, but I do sometimes mash my avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lunch Magda, I think I need to have at least one avocado a day! Love your recipe for Greek barley bread too. I've booked marked this one to try when we return home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is my kind of lunch. :) I love that beautiful perfectly-cooked yolk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magda, I just ate almost the same thing for breakfast! Though I only wish I had some lovely homemade bread like yours;)
    And I hear you about the kitchen... I'm the same way. I LOVE it, but often need to take a break and am always excited to return to cooking.
    You are so lucky to have seen Lou Reed in concert!
    xoxo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Μάγδα μου, αν έχεις όρεξη για παιχνίδια, σε κάλεσα να πάρεις τη σκυτάλη να παίξεις στους unpaixtable bloggers. Σε φιλώ!

    ReplyDelete