Monday, April 16, 2012

Eggs, eggs, eggs

Today was the second day of Easter and my fridge was full of eggs. I had no idea what to do with them.






I'm not a fan of eggs. They're not my favorite food in the world, to say the least. Especially hard-boiled eggs.






The only way I can bring myself to eat a hard-boiled egg is if I camouflage it. Take the egg yolk out of the egg white, mix it with a number of delicious ingredients and then spoon it back in. Now, that I can handle.






I know, I'm difficult. But this is not. These deviled eggs with avocado, crème fraîche and salmon roe are simply delicious.
I was a happy little picky eater today.






So, dear reader, if you have some Easter (or other) eggs on hand, give this a try.

See you very soon!






P.S. I think I ate too many of these. I should've known better.
Be warned. They're addictive.










Deviled Eggs with Avocado, Crème Fraîche and Salmon Roe

The combination of the egg yolk, the avocado and the crème fraîche is extremely pleasing to the palate, and the gentle saltiness of the salmon roe on top works really well against the dull richness of the egg.

Needless to say, these eggs are perfect for a dinner party, served as an appetizer or amuse bouche. There, I said it.

Make these just prior to serving because once you cut the avocado, it tends to darken after a while. If you want to make these ahead, see note at the end of the recipe.

You can use herring roe in place of the salmon roe but the latter has a superior flavor.






Yield: 14 deviled eggs

Ingredients
7 medium-sized, hard-boiled eggs
1 small, ripe avocado (about 200 g), flesh scooped out and roughly chopped
3 ½ Tbsp crème fraîche
1 Tbsp lemon or lime juice, freshly squeezed
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1-1 ½ Tbsp salmon roe

Preparation
Peel the eggs and cut them in half lengthwise using a sharp knife (not serrated). Remove the egg yolks gently with the help of a teaspoon and place them into a medium-sized bowl. Add the roughly chopped avocado and mash together with a fork. Don't mash them completely but leave some bits of yolk and avocado to add texture to the dish.
Add the lemon or lime juice and a little sea salt and pepper to taste and mix well with the fork. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.


Take each egg white half and, using a teaspoon (or even a piping bag if you're comfortable using it), fill them with the egg yolk mixture. Top each egg half with the salmon roe and arrange the deviled eggs on a platter.

Serve immediately.

Note: If you want to make these ahead, prepare the egg yolk mixture without adding the avocado and place it in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap. Keep the egg white halves refrigerated and covered with plastic wrap as well. Just before serving, mash the avocado, add it to the egg yolk mixture and mix everything together with a fork.






10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I am not a fan of eggs either, except like you say, camouflaged or drowned in a tomato and onion sauce, but I love avocados!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so darned good !
    thank you very much for sharing..:)
    first time here..love your space
    happy following you..;)
    do stop by mine sometime

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great. I wish I'd read this before throwing out a carton of red-dyed eggs that my Greek mother-in-law gave me on the weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eggs and eggs with salmon roe are an even bigger love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joumana — tomato and onion sauce sounds really interesting!

    Jay — thanks!

    Greer — oh that's too bad...

    Lorraine — salmon roe is the best part of this dish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your wonderful work, I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Magda,
    Like you, I will eat hard boiled eggs, only if dressed up.
    I love the idea of avocado mashed with the yolk.
    You have to watch out! Good "devils" are always addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pictures and the eggs on eggs, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a Southerner deviled eggs are part of our basic food group! Your version has raised the bar. As Nancy says, Good Devils are very additive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm weird about eggs too, but I love a good deviled egg (as well as any excuse to get some salmon roe). And the added avocado sounds so, so, delicious.

    ReplyDelete